Marriages in Hollywood are not divorce-proof: A look at celebrity couples facing issues
It’s the season of split-ups in Hollywood. Earlier today, news emerged that Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez have officially divorced after being married for two years. This season, we saw a string of other celebrity couples also facing a similar crisis. Earlier this week, Hugh Jackman announced his separation from his wife of 27 years. Here’s a look at some Hollywood couples and their rifts. Above: Ariana Grande, Sofia Vergara and Reese Witherspoon.
1. Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez have filed for divorce. According to sources close to Grande and Gomez, they have been separated since January but have remained exceedingly cordial. One insider told Page Six that Gomez visited Grande on the set of ‘Wicked’ in London in a last-ditch attempt to save their marriage, but “it didn’t work out”. The source shared, “They’ve been really good friends throughout the entire process, and their friends and families have been trying to protect them.” Above: Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez
2. ‘Wolverine’ star Hugh Jackman and Deborra-lee Jackman decided to end their marriage after 27 years and two children. Their separation was first reported by People magazine. They added that their family is their highest priority and that they’ll undertake “this next chapter with gratitude, love, and kindness”. “We have been blessed to share almost 3 decades together as husband and wife in a wonderful, loving marriage. Our journey now is shifting and we have decided to separate to pursue our individual growth,” they said in the joint statement.
3. After four years of marriage, singer Joe Jonas and actress Sophie Turner filed for divorce, saying that their marriage is now “irretrievably broken”. The musician and the former ‘Game of Thrones’ star tied the knot in 2019 after nearly three years of dating and have two children together: Willa, 3, and a second daughter, identified in the divorce documents as D., 14 months, TMZ reported.
4. Hollywood actress Sofia Vergara and Joe Manganiello are getting divorced after being married for seven years. “We have made the difficult decision to divorce,” the couple shared in a statement to ‘Page Six’. Above: Sofia Vergara and Joe Manganiello.
“As two people that love and care for one another very much, we politely ask for respect for our privacy at this time as we navigate this new phase of our lives.” According to ‘People’, the two first met through Vergara’s Modern Family co-star Jesse Tyler Ferguson at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in 2014. Above: Sofia Vergara and Joe Manganiello.
5. Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth, who were married for 11 years, announced their divorce in March this year. They expressed their deep love and mutual respect while prioritising their son and family in this new chapter of their lives. Above: Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth.
6. American singer and actor Ne-Yo and former reality TV star and model Crystal Renay finalised their divorce in January after being married for seven years. The couple initially separated in 2020 but reconciled during the pandemic. However, Renay filed for divorce in August 2022, citing irreparable differences and Ne-Yo allegedly fathering a child with another woman. Above: Ne-Yo and Crystal Renay.
7. Actress Shannen Doherty filed for divorce from her photographer husband Kurt Iswarienko in April 2023, after exhausting all other options. The divorce was finalised on January 26 this year. Infidelity may have played a role in their split. Married since October 2011, the two didn’t ink a prenuptial agreement and don’t share any children. Above: Shannen Doherty and Kurt Iswarienko.
8. Kevin Costner’s wife, Christine Baumgartner, filed for divorce after 18 years of marriage in May. The “Yellowstone” star’s spouse cited irreconcilable differences and requested joint custody of their three children. Above: Kevin Costner and Christine Baumgartner.
9. Imagine Dragons singer Dan Reynolds’ estranged wife, Aja Volkman, filed for divorce in Los Angeles in April, after nearly one year of separation. The couple, who share four children, previously planned to divorce in 2018 but reconciled briefly. Reynolds has moved on and is currently dating actress Minka Kelly. Above: Dan Reynolds and Aja Volkman.