Mammootty and Meryl Streep prove age is just a number with their cracking fitness
Wondering how stars in their 70s remain healthy and toned? The answer lies in being relentlessly disciplined, says actor Arnold Schwarzenegger who spends at least an hour in the gym every day. Here’s a look at other actors who also believe in the same fitness mantra – and their top tips on remaining fit.
1. Arnold Schwarzenegger, 75, has a fitness mantra. In an interview with CNN, he said: “I bicycle down, giving me a nice warm-up of about half an hour, then I work out for another half an hour or 45 minutes. I try to come to the gym every day, which ends up being around 320 days a year.”
2. Sylvester Stallone, 76, may have moved away from his action-star glory days of the 1980s, but he remains incredibly fit. Sharing glimpses of his workout routines on Instagram, he incorporates exercises like dumbbell presses, boxing, pilates, and the “Headbanger” pull-up.
3. Bollywood director, producer, and actor Rakesh Roshan, 71, has always showcased his passion for fitness by regularly sharing workout videos on Instagram. His dedication to staying in shape inspires many. The father to Hrithik Roshan clearly proves that he set a great example for his son and family too.
4. Helen Mirren, 77, maintains her flawless appearance with the Royal Canadian Air Force 12-minute exercise plan. Developed in the 1950s, this routine combines 10 basic exercises for a comprehensive body workout. “It is the exercise I have done off and on my whole life. It just very gently gets you fit,” Helen shares with HELLO! magazine.
5. Indian actor Mammootty, 71, is a portrait of eternal health and fitness. He avoids carbohydrates and is strict about what’s on his plate. He also heads to the gym regularly.
6. Diane Keaton, 77, credits her youthful appearance to being the best person she can be. The accomplished actress follows a vegetarian diet, and practices fast-paced walking on the treadmill to break a sweat.
7. Meryl Streep, 74, knows a thing or two about being on top of her fitness game. In earlier interviews, she has spoken about swimming as many as 55 laps a day to keep fit. She also believes in having a balanced lifestyle.
8. Susan Sarandon, 76, focuses on eating healthily, engaging in ping-pong, maintaining a toxic-free environment, and staying active. She emphasises the importance of taking care of oneself and weeding out toxic influences. She also believes laughter is the best medicine.
9. Robert De Niro, 79, defies age with his healthy lifestyle. The iconic actor trains with a personal trainer daily, practices boxing, and follows a nutritious diet.
10. Rod Stewart, 78, embraces intense workouts as part of his daily fitness routine. Even swimming with weighted bricks doesn’t deter him. The legendary British rock star says, “Sometimes when you exercise, you think, ‘I can’t be bothered,’ but then you push yourself, and it’s so uplifting for your mind and body,” he told the Daily Mirror newspaper.